For college students, writing academic papers is compulsory. It could be in the form of literature reviews, journals, term papers, dissertation, essays and research papers. For you to produce an outstanding document, you have to plan and develop a workable strategy.
It is an essential part of a college’s program that university teachers and schools spend weeks teaching and training students about academic writing. Whatever discipline you are in, academic writing helps you to make arguments, convey ideas and participate in a scholarly conversation.
When you feel pressed for time, you can always get APA paper review service. All in all, it is essential to acquire academic writing skills, as we will explain later on in this article.
What is Academic Writing?
Often, people associate academic writing as inaccessible and long-winded. Been there, done that, too. However, strong academic writing uses a straightforward manner to inform, persuade and analyse the subject matter.
In addition to this, good academic writing allows you to engage the reader in scholarly dialogue through critical engagement. Simply put, academic writing is any written work produced in the academic setting and one that’s formal. The common forms of academic writing include:
• Research Paper: in writing a research paper, you need to know how to synthesise external information with your original ideas. Here, you make an argument or support a thesis, using outside information.
• Literature Analysis: this type of academic writing involves focusing on a specific motif, theme, or characteristic, and close reading of one or more texts on the area of interest. It evaluates, examines a literary work and makes arguments about it.
• Dissertation: at the conclusion of a PhD program, you will have to submit a thesis. It is a summary of your research as a doctoral candidate and is a book-length submission.
Importance of Academic Writing
Writing doesn’t come easily to many. For some students, having to write an academic paper could feel intimidating. Sometimes, you may ask yourself, whether all the effort you invest in getting APA lit review services, is worth it.
During the job hunt, after graduation, you will realise that many companies are looking for potential employees with sound writing skills. However, this isn’t the only significant reason why it’s vital to hone your academic writing skills. Below are its benefits:
a) Develop analytical Skills
In academic writing, you learn to form an informed opinion by looking at the ideas and works of somebody else. It involves more than just describing their views. You read the material and then decide on its importance as a literary work to the subject.
You have to thinks about the reason why the study was carried out, and the findings can prove useful, in the future. The research process allows you to cover a range of material on the subject. In turn, you learn how to classify and analyse the information.
b) Convey Understanding
If you struggle with academic writing, it may be difficult for you to explain a complicated subject you’ve learnt at the university. The scholarly essays that you have to write help you learn how to use the right terminology and style that will make the information easy to understand by others.
It also helps you to develop a reasonable flow of thoughts with full-fledged ideas.
c) Encourages Critical Thinking and Objectivity
You also learn to look at research and ideas from different perspectives. Any expert APA paper review service won’t write a paper that’s one-sided. You should analyse a theory from various viewpoints.
It is what you need to base your statements on, depending on your understanding. Objectivity and critical thinking are also useful skills to master, in the real world. Also, for an educated person, constructing arguments and being able to defend your viewpoint, is essential.
d) It cultivates discipline
For you to write effectively, you need to have a routine and stick to it. It allows you to move a step closer to your end goal. Regular writing exercises instil discipline in you, especially when you feel exhausted or lack the motivation to write, but know that you need to do so.
Always remind yourself of your target and the reason why you started. With practice, your writing skills also improve.
There’s a considerable difference between creative and academic writing. If you have written an academic paper before, you know you can’t write it the same way, I have written this post. Besides this, different academic disciplines have their stylistic conventions.
However, these are some of the features that most academic writing materials, share:
• Clear Primary Focus: the thesis statement establishes the focus of the academic paper. Every argument or comment has to connect back to the primary focus of the article. The same applies to the background or contextual information that you may include.
• Arguments based on Evidence: using evidence to support your arguments or those of another, makes them credible. These arguments should, therefore, be well-informed.
• Logical Structure: academic writing follows a consistent flow or presentation of cases. It is in the form of Introduction, Body and Conclusion. The paragraphs and sentences must connect logically. The introduction lays out the direction and scope of the paper, provides background information, and a thesis statement. The body should offer points that support the thesis statement and elaborate on them. In your conclusion, you summarise the main points.
• Formal Tone: you need to present your ideas or arguments, objectively. Don’t use inflammatory, biased or emotional language.
When you have an academic writing exercise, take it as an opportunity to develop your skills, and not just in writing. Remember to plan your time, create a schedule and stick to it. Though your writing skills may be wanting, with practice, you will even surprise yourself with how much you have improved.
Before working on any academic writing assignment, remember to follow the given instruction by your professor. It’s the first step towards producing an academic paper that is worth securing a place among other scholarly articles.