2) Most unicorn companies are located in California. New York takes the second place, while Beijing is in the third.
3) As far as Europe is concerned, London is the city with the most unicorn companies. It is followed by Berlin and Stockholm.
4) 67% of the companies were launched by two founders, while 37% were launched by only one founder.
5) 60% of founders to reach the billion-dollar mark are first time founders, while 23% are on their second attempt.
6) Most unicorn companies are parts of the internet, software and e-commerce industry.
7) 29 companies are celebrating their 10th birthdays in 2017. The year that brought the most unicorn companies was 2007.
8) 35 companies on the list met the billion-dollar mark in their fourth year.
9) 58 companies achieved unicorn status in 2014. In 2015, the number rose to 86, and then dropped to 41 in 2016.
10) 2016 was the fastest year for companies to achieve unicorn status.
11) It was also the year where China and the US were neck and neck for the number of companies becoming unicorns. The top 10 most values companies are evenly split between China and the US.
12) The US is home to 144 unicorn companies while China has 47, and India has 10.
13) 150 companies are valued between $1 and $2 billion in contrast to 16 businesses worth more than $10 billion.
14) Uber is worth the most at $62.5 billion.
15) Alibaba is the only company in the top 10 that was launched in the past century.