1)He embodies fake news. Underwood didn't simply create the term but used it to an extent of distorting reality.The result is a twilight zone that even himself can not control eventually!His creations can be maintained only with fear, because who would form bonds of trust with a person who clearly likes to act in the shadows?
2)He over appreciates himself. He believes he is capable of anything and refuses to accept his defeat.Although his mind can indeed be equal to the one of a founding father, his persistence to act like a rebel whose actions are beyond criticism exposes his weaknesses. Indeed, he is good at getting himself out of thin ice incidents but for how long? He may have kept secret his humiliation from the Russian President but for how long?
3) He is tired. Underwood as a senator, worked tirelessly on learning the whereabouts but as a President, he is too tired to repeat the same methodology so he becomes vulnerable and susceptible to mistakes. He can't even update his trend-setting methods, he is stuck in the past and refuses to evolve.
4) He has no control over anyone. He may believe that he is on the top of many situations but in reality, Claire maintains connections better than him with her –sometimes bitter- advice. If it was not for his wife and his most loyal partner, Doug he would be long gone from the scene. In short-term influence over staffers, he is the man but on the long run, his companions are non-existent.
5) He does not foresee or plan his actions. An ambition driven person like him has planned only until his destination and does not know how to take it to the next level. He keeps on pointing out the magnitude of his victory and that's about it. He does not wish to build a stable nation but rather then Underwoodian empire and to that end, he prefers unsteady risks than actual political actions...
But, you will say, he is very likable. Of course, his assertiveness is what makes him seen as leadership potential but he needs more than an alpha male figure and power suits for his reign to last. Because for sure is trying to become wealthy by increasing the number of souls he has purchased but he is far from becoming the source of power. So, the next time you want to plot it out like Frank, you should think twice about it because instead of a good time you may end up with a bad reputation!
6) When MUNing takes over: Quite often, we remind ourselves to not “MUN in the real life” and that “you can’t grab the laptop in the middle of a business meeting and simply start writing” because it’s tremendously impolite and it will get us in some serious problems. What happens though, when we mix up our MUN persona, or the attempted perfection of ourselves, with the realm of actual responsibilities? In other words, it’s quite simple to threaten “firing” a bad performing chair but quite difficult to not have that chair badmouthing you even if the call had valid reasons.
The situation deteriorates when our MUN “power position” is overused around the circuit in any way possible, most of the times resulting in demeaning someone’s wellbeing in a variety of ways. If Francis was exceptional at his job, his lack of tact and politeness could have been potentially shadowed. Unfortunately, he managed to get himself written off and not because he wanted to take over the lead on Scandal.
7) CLAIRE IS NOT THE ANTI-HERO YOU HAVE BEEN DREAMING ABOUT IN A WHILE:
Yes, caps lock because I am furious, frustrated and about to pick up a fight with anyone claiming the opposite. She is a brilliant actress but her character has been transforming into a slightly politically correct version of his. I don't have to remind you that she failed big time as a US ambassador and poisoned her lover because he would hurt her as well (missed you, Zoe ). Moreover, she is not even shining in her own skin if you compare her to a power hungry female she was, she is now a misery mixture of Merkel and Blanche Dubois! She is not a leader, just a glossy manipulated person tricked to believe she leads her shoes. I could elaborate in essays about it, but I will reserve my rage until HoC is officially over.
To conclude, Francis let himself believe that power is eternal and ever increasing, therefore did not bother to correct/improve/ accept the mistakes of his past. Power does consume you but the example of the man who got his gavel buried over multiple allegations is a good reminder for the rest of us.
Ps-Any connection with Donald Trump is completely accidental but even today, a fictional U.S. President is more popular than the actual one.
P.S 2 upon which I am willing to seriously debate your opinions on the last season, however, whilst watching it I couldn't help but think that it was all about Francis all along. Claire, acting as a reflection of his passion to withhold power struggles to survive and evidently lures into his very own path. In other words, do not immitate choose to innovate. Apologies Claire, but you took away from us a very good series to MUNspire us in times of need.
P.S. Have you joined our Facebook group yet? It’s the perfect way to stay in touch with all the new opportunities. We are expecting you: