Every MUN has its special features, something that makes it stand out from all other MUN conferences. In same cases its the team organizing it, the university, the great topics or simply the social events. In the case of VIMUN it's undoubtedly the venue.
The Vienna International Model United Nations, short VIMUN , is a Model United Nations conference organised at United Nations Office at Vienna every August.
Having the opportunity to participate at a Model UN in one of the centres of UN policymaking is great experience. Negotiating in the actual committee rooms that are usually used by real UN diplomats and other UN staff, creates an authentic atmosphere that is incomparable. Having lunch in the UN cafeteria and seeing UN staff members occassionally drop by to listen what young delegates have to say about pressing issues simply adds to authentic UN experience.
Since 1979 Vienna is one of the "United Nations capitals" that hosts a variety of UN organisations and Speciazlized Agencies, for instance the UNIDO, UNODC, CTBTO and the IAEA. Apart from those organistations OPEC and OSCE also have their headquarters in Vienna. Much of this international atmosphere is legacy of the Cold War, when Vienna was the ideal spot for international organisations due to its neutrality. Despite the end of the cold war and the subsequent geopolitical changes, Vienna has still preserved its status as one of the UN capitals.
In 1995 United Nations Youth and Student Association of Austria - Academic Forum for Foreign Affairs held its first relatively small MUN. VIMUN 2014 (Vienna) will be our 20th anniversary and approximately 250 delegates from more than 40 nations are expected to participate from 3 to 7 August.
At VIMUN 2014 (Vienna) 7 quite distinct committee will be simulated:
- SECURITY COUNCIL(SC): Discussion on an urgent actual development (exact topic to be announced shortly before the conference)
- FUTURISTIC SECURITY COUNCIL (FSC): Collapse of AEROK (=DPRK)
- INTERNATIONAL COURT OF JUSTICE(ICJ): Questions Relating to the Seizure and Detention of Certain Documentsand Data (Timor-Leste v. Australia)
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL (HRC): Treatment of Migrants, Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL (ECOSOC): Sustainable Energy for All
- INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY (IAEA): Management of Severe Nuclear Accidents
- UNITED NATIONS OFFICE ON DRUGS AND CRIME(UNODC): Legalization of Soft Drugs
At VIMUN 2014 (Vienna) we are also trying to achieve a much more realistic simulation by using new rules of procedures for the 20th anniversary VIMUN that are much closer to the actual rules of
procedures of the UN ,but at the same guarantee lively debates.
For all of those who want to experience the UNiqueness, VIMUN 2014 (Vienna) is the place to go!
Join the 20th anniversary of VIMUN :)