A person can grow from a designer to a leader only when they
enhance their skill sets but to become a creator they will have to establish
themselves and gain a significant amount of popularity. To achieve this, creative
thinking along with multitasking skills are the most required skills. You will
be perceived as a winner only when you receive a wow appreciation from your
targeted audience, your clients, your team members and your superiors.
So you have got this amazing opportunity to handle a project and this project is your first project ever. While this is an amazing opportunity, what will be even more amazing is if you completed the project with flying colors. And in order to do this, you need to develop a plan and a timeline for your project that you need to stick to.
Along with having a good vision, you also need to have a well-defined plan for the project. Being a project manager and managing a project for the first time is easy said no one ever. But here are a few things that you can follow which will ensure the smooth execution of your project right from the start till the project gets finished.
1. Develop a Plan For Your Project And Stick To It
Without understanding the scope of a project and communicating about the scope to your team, and without proper delegation of tasks and responsibilities, executing a project and ensuring its success is almost impossible. Developing a project plan can help you and your teammates work better and more efficiently. Create a document which will have the complete scope of the project and also provide guidelines for your team.
Here are a few things that you need to focus on when you are developing a project plan:
- Define the goal of the object- It’s important to first know and let your team know why they are a part of the project in the first place. Don’t just tell your team the broader goal. Be as specific as you can when you tell your team the scope of the project.
- Define the tasks for your team- There will be different people on your team who will be involved in different aspects of the project. So it is important to tell your team what tasks they will be performing.
- Choose the right people for your team- Building an efficient team is important to make sure that the project is a success. When building a team, make sure to include people who have expertise and people who are willing to take responsibilities and an efficient project sponsor.
- Set a timeline for the project- Break your project into different stages and for each stage, define the tasks that have to be completed and define deadlines for these tasks. Setting a timeline will help you monitor every stage and see if your project is on track or not.
- Get feedback and tweak your project plan accordingly- Always get feedback from your team, clients, and stakeholders before initiating the project and then tweak your project accordingly.
2. Monitor Your Project and Make Sure It Is Being Executed As Per The Timeline
Always make sure that your project is on track. In order to monitor your project on a timely basis, and revise and tweak it when needed, you need to check your project every now and then. The timely deliverable can be effectively mentored and monitored with the help of well-structured and strategist project timeline template. Make it a point to keep track of the project status and do this at least once a week.
Be flexible and open to views that your teammates give to ensure that the project is executed smoothly. Communicate clearly with your team and make sure to keep everyone on your team in the loop. The most important thing that you need to do as a project manager always provide direction to your team and make sure they are equipped with all the resources they need to complete the project efficiently. Always give timely and constructive feedback to your team members to make sure that the end deliverables are achieved as expected.
3. Make Use of The Best Management Software
Handling every aspect of your project manually and individually can be daunting. This is where advanced software come into the picture. This project management software makes the life of a project manager easy.
Here is a few project management software that you can use for ensuring the smooth running of the project:
- Basecamp is considered to be the best project management software in the market. This offers a simple interface where you can create to-do lists, design multiple projects, share files with teammates, and schedule meetings.
- The Trello project management software uses the technique of discussion through collaborative boards. Other project management software includes Wrike, Zoho Projects, Podio, and Asana.
4. Know How to Manage Your Time
Project success depends on time management. As a project manager, you need to make sure that you finish your tasks and the tasks that you have delegated to your team with the time targets effectively.
There are few things that you can follow to strategist time management:
- Assign tasks to the right people who have appropriate skills and subject expertise. Always remember to delegate tasks to people who have the subject expertise, instead of doing everything on your own. Also, don’t hesitate to get the opinion of someone outside the project if they have the subject expertise.
- While all tasks in a project are important, always prioritize the ones that first need attention and have to be completed as per the logical sequence.
- Always schedule meetings to know the project’s progress and timely update. This helps to monitor the successful completion of the project within the stipulated timeline. Allow your team to give feedback and updates on the project.
- Work only on one project at a time and give your 100% to that project rather than taking multiple projects and not being able to execute even one efficiently.
- List the tasks and create a weekly plan ahead of time. Raise alarms and set extended time limits in case of unexpected crisis.
5. Make Sure To Celebrate The Success Of Your Project With Your Team Mates
- Celebration creates extensive motivation for the team and for the leader. Hence, plan the celebration in a big way that creates memorable moments among the mindset of team members. Success to be celebrated is a key that opens up the readiness for the team to receive the next project.
- Taking your team out for a nice dinner or celebrating with them by raising a toast are some of the best ways to celebrate the project’s success. If you want to further motivate your team members, schedule a meeting particularly for recognizing individual team member’s efforts and have the team applaud those contributing members. This will make your team see you as their biggest fan!
- While managing a project can be demanding and quite challenging, when the project turns out to be a successful one, it will give unmatched satisfaction and happiness. Learn from things that went smoothly and things that went wrong in your first project and use these learnings in your future projects to make sure they are even more efficiently executed.