Post available to Premium Members only. Please upgrade your account in order to apply.
Greetings from Düsseldorf, Germany!
It is truly God's grace and miracle when I won the essay competition to had 1 month internship at Gerda Henkel Stiftung by Foreign Policy Community of Indonesia (FPCI - formed by His Excellency Ambassador of Indonesia for USA Dr. Dino Patti DJalal). When I was there, I had the chance to travel around Europe on the weekend in August. But here comes TROUBLES! lol...
1. It is my first time in Europe
2. I never travel before
and I knew it when I try to plan my trips, I was doomed and preety much screwed :D but God is very good and I prayed for all of my trips to Europe. Here is the things that I didn't find in any blog or websites which only tell stories in "well budget trips". WELL, I'm having minimum budget and still need to continue my life - so, frankly speaking I would love to travel around the world with minimum budget and will do anything for that but I have to make sure that I'm survived. So, here is the things that I can recommend for all traveler with minimum budget things :)
These rules are applied ONLY if you want to explore 1 city in 1 day
RULES for SURVIVAL TRAVELER:
1. Do take the bus - the NIGHT bus, please. I recommend Flixbus - although I know that some people said that it was their worst experience but at least it had electrical spot to charge up your phone or camera. It has online time and schedule on the Flixbus App. Please mind in your mind that late bus is very much common things - don't complain because you took the cheapest transport and I know that sometimes you late too. The good thing is that the operator will update the time schedule at the app, so you will know if it is gonna be on time or late. And again if it is late for like 1 hour and then for another 1 hour - yes, i know it is anoying but bear it. I don't know how to put this but maybe, just maybe, someone who also share the bus with you is late to arrive on l´time due to any reason. The truth is s/he also want to go somewhere and s/he prayed that the bus will wait for him/her so that s/he could continue their life. Don't judge people easily - you don't know what other people life. I know you might be busy but God has reason to make things happened as it is the process of life - if you don't believe in God, at least be thankful that you can go for trips around Europe/world with minimum budgets. No need for trains as the time travel is sometimes similar with the bus.
2. NO need for hotel. As I said to you, take the night bus, that bus is your hotel. Hate to sleep in the bus? please don't. I thought you already agree on the first rule. Sleep while you can because you'll need more energy tomorrow to support your walking-and-metro-trips. Please carry extra electrical spot that has more than 2 spot to charge and share to the person next to you :)
3. Don't go for restaurant. Please DON'T! I mean I was fooled couple times and that is just not good. I dont like being lied just because I'm a tourist. If you run a restaurant-food business, don't try to lie to your customer. You have no idea how many Euro on their wallets and how those Euro will be used to keep them alive. Don't say that it is not your problem - customer's belly is the one who pay your bills.
4. Targeted on local groceries store. Yes, like Rewe, Netto, Aldi, Lidl, or any local groceries store where you can buy 1 Euro of Ceasar Salad or a meal that less than 2-3 Euro. You can buy a whole butter bread for 0.75 Euro and buy a cooked salami, cooked chicken, cheese, or even more butter to feed you whenever you are hungry at the trips. It's cost maybe almost 4 Euro but you can eat it for 2-3 days - so it it much more efficient and effective. PLEASE forget your TASTEBUDS for a while. And buy drinks in here too - not vending maschine! Don't forget their location that is near to your destination places, only go for the nearest one so that you dont have to spent so much energy only to find it - they are our life-saver.
5. Only use tram, metro, or local bus. It will be nice if you can walk on your trips. But I know that sometimes, our favorites destination is separated by a tram or metro, so take them instead of city tour bus that cost higher! You can take the 1D tickets but if you sure that you can do much walk, take the 1 way ticket if it is needed.
6. Limited destination ONLY. Yeah, sorry for that. Since we have limited budgets and limited time, only choose 6-8 destination that is affordable and reachable. Make a planned on which one do you want to visit first and then for the second destination is nearest one to the first place. It like making a ROUND trips. Because you have to comeback to the central bus station to go home or continue your journey before time.
7. Don't bring too much! I only brought 1 extra t-shirt with 1 underwear. I'm a female so I had nappies that I can change whenever I want without having my underwear dirty :P The other things is vitamin and headache medicine, some basic need such as toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant (no need to shower if it only 2D1N trips), cleasing soap, wet and dry tissues, and make up for touch up for the girls. Bring little umbrella, a jacket, 1 jeans, an extra reusable bag for food, drink, and some souvenirs :D and some identites like passport.
Well, I think thats all for your simple and survival mode trips if you dont have much on budget and only go for weekend. I hope I can be better to give advices from my very raw experience and can share it to anyone who desparate to travel but money and back account can only suggest you to your backyard :D Thank you for reading - have a nice and blessed day everone!
Are you into traveling and love exploring different countries? Then you should definitely visit and join the new travel community at Voyagehacks and start sharing your experiences today!